Regular small talk item at the office: “What’s for dinner tonight?” Despite knowing this question will be askes at some point during the day it always comes unexpected. And it always catches me off guard. That goes for anyone of my collegues, btw. “Hmmm, I don’t know yet. Do you?”
My usual answer: “Nah, me neither. Whatever is left in the fridge, I guess.” Followed by a brainstorm. I believe I have some green asparagus laying around, a stalk of celery and fennel? Oh! And broccoli. I suppose I could stir fry it all together in my wok.
Because Wok and I, we go waaaaay back. We tight. I’ve known him all my life. I know him the fried rice, noodles and skewerless satays my dad used to conjure up together with Wok. From the kang kung trassi Grandma made specially for me. Mom taught me her ayam keçap. All used Wok. What can I say, Wok is my best kitchen buddy. He’s always there for me and my go-to-p(l)an whenever I’m lost and don’t know what to cook. Or DO know what to cook.
All that’s left is buy some meat. Beef maybe.
“Sounds good Eva”. Oh whoops, I was thinking out loud (again). Well at least I know what’s for dinner now. Im’ma cook me some old fashioned stirfried stuff. Why not. Wok and I are best friends after all.
So this time I made something based on left overs. Only thing I bought before coming home was steak. I guess if you want to follow this recipe you’d have to buy everything ;)
So, for 2:
- +/- 300 grams steak
- quarter piece fennel, sliced wafer-thin
- 2 stalks celery, chopped thinly
- 6 green asparagus, in chunks
- 1 small broccoli, in florets and stalk diced
- 1 onion, in half rings
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- small piece of ginger root, finely chopped
- small piece of trassi
- splash of rice wine
- 1 tbs vegetable/coconut oil
- sweet soy sauce
- salt, pepper
- butter to fry steak
- Let the steak come up to room temperature. Why, you might ask? I’ll tell you. If you fry them immediately from the fridge they will be less tender.
- Preheat (convection) oven to 60-70 C. Also put a pot water on heat to blanch the asparagus for about 2 minutes before adding the broccoli for another minute. Rinse with cold water to stop further cooking while set aside.
- Fry the steak i some butter. Each side two minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper before putting in the oven on an oven proof plate to keep warm.
- Heat oil/coconutoil in your wok and shortly stir-fry the onions, gralic, ginger and trassi.
- Deglace with a splash of ricewine.
- Add fennel, celery, broccoli and keep stir-frying for 2-3 minutes.
- Add sweet soy sauce, turn heat on low.
- Get the meat out of the oven en slice in strips.
- Mix in the strips of steak and the stir-fries veggies. ready to serve.